Back-to-Work Tools for Economic Development Professionals
This page is designed for economic development agencies that would like to more closely investigate the connection between good transportation services for workers and growth in their community’s economic activity.
- Use this assessment tool to better understand the extent to which efficient, reliable transportation options can add to a fertile climate for economic development. (Combine the results of your assessment with those of other economic development professionals to get a broader indication of where transportation services can be strengthened.)
- After you complete the assessment, use the links below to explore ways in which your agency can participate in fostering more effective transportation options.
- View “The Economic Power of Great Places,” a TED talk about how building “great places”—which have access to multiple types of transportation services and other amenities—attracts workers, which in turn attracts business wishing to hire those workers.
- Listen to the story of the collaboration between an economic development association and transportation service providers, businesses, and others to improve regional transportation options.
- Consult this guidebook, developed with input from a variety of community stakeholders, on designing good mobility options in developments and land use planning.
- Access these resources on how to respond to sector-specific transportation needs of businesses and employees across a variety of sectors.
- Use this tool to develop a detailed analysis of the value of public transit to economic development, complete with Excel spreadsheets, methodological factors, and applications of the tool to real communities.
- Read about strategies for combining transportation and workforce data to strengthen collaborations and ensure employees have the transportation options they need to access work sites.
- View resources on building sustainable communities
- Learn how involving transit can strengthen cluster-based economic development attract new businesses, generate entrepreneurship, and create a talented workforce within your region.
- To add your voice to the economic development—transportation conversation, consider joining force with others to
- Communicate your vision of employment-related transportation for your community
- Learn whether there is a local group already tackling these transportation issues and join in the discussions
- Spearhead a work group dedicated to resolving job access mobility challenges
- It’s exciting and rewarding to be able to design new or expanded transportation services. We’ll help you through this process with our Guide to Design Thinking.
Others—such as workforce development agencies, businesses, transportation experts, and job seekers themselves—may already be working on solutions. Learn more from their perspective on at the Back-to-Work Toolkit home page.